Foreward
Let’s start with a statement:
‘I see many people who’s lives are ravaged and ruined by mental illness. Sadly there are always one or two cases a year which are very extreme; your son is one of those extreme cases’
For the people who live with this illness every day, and its devastating effects, this book is for you and your loved ones, the people who are close to you and care so much for you.
Research states that 1 in every 100 people on this planet live with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I am sure there are many more yet to be diagnosed, some may never be. I think about those poor souls frequently. It’s a large number when coupled with the ripple effect - the potential number of people affected must be huge - the parents, siblings, husbands, wives, and friends. Add to that all of the professional staff that can be involved, the doctors, the paramedics, the psychiatrists, and the police even, and the numbers are massive.
Prior to my son’s diagnosis I knew very little about Paranoid Schizophrenia, but as the weeks and months passed I have learned more, and have become fascinated by it. I can also see why in so many ways the illness is brushed aside in society, mainly through little or no knowledge, low tolerance, and very little acceptance. You can see a broken arm or leg, and it can be fixed quickly, this is completely different.
My diary was originally written for my son to read about his behaviour, for the times he slips in his recovery and considers stopping his medication - a frank journal so he could read of the consequences, both for himself and others. As time rolled on I have expanded on my thoughts and added memories, some relate to my upbringing, my failed marriage, and life in general, some serious anecdotes, some humorous, but all true.
It has been quite a journey, and will continue to be for some time.
Truly amazing a great and wonderful person that should continue to do what you are doing to make the world a better place for others.
ReplyDelete